List:       procmail
Subject:    "$" right of "?" (was mkdir)
From:       dattier () ripco ! com (David W !  Tamkin)
Date:       2000-05-17 19:18:48

Dallman asked,

| I also have a question.  I thought I needed "$" near the left
| in condition lines when I am relying on a variable of mine in
| the condition line.  How come we don't need the "$" in the test -d
| line above?  This confuses me.

The "$" modifier is needed for expanding variables and backquoted commands
in regexps.  To the right of the "?" modifier or the "|" action, procmail
assumes that the rest of the line is a command, will scan for characters from
$SHELLMETAS, and then either parse the command on its own or pass it to a
shell, so "$" interpretation is implicit.  I'd imagine that if you did in-
clude the leading dollar sign, it would be harmless as long as it's to the
left of the question mark.