List:       procmail
Subject:    Re: A note about sending procmail spam filter snippets to the list
From:       Liviu Daia <daia () stoilow ! imar ! ro>
Date:       1998-08-30 9:54:41

On 29 August 1998, Stan Ryckman <stanr@sunspot.tiac.net> wrote:
> At 09:03 AM 8/29/98 +0300, Liviu Daia wrote:

> >> Huh?  Just white-list this (and any other subscribed) mailing list
> >> before filtering on subject or content.  That's easy and I believe
> >> has been suggested numerous times as a necessity for any reasonable
> >> content-based spam detector.
> >[...]
> >
> >    You must be joking, this list is the only one through which I
> >still receive spam.
>
> Sorry, I do not see the purported joke.

    Neither do I actually.  It was only an attempt to be polite.

> While the issue of whether this list should require subscription
> to post has been beaten to death (actually, I think requiring
> non-subscribers to confirm the post with an OK would do it since most
> spam is unreplyable), how much of the spam that made it onto this list
> had the list address in the To: or Cc: header?
>
> I don't bother doing this myself, so this is untested, but if you
> insist:
[...]

    Actually, I did read your message before replying to it, so I
probably understood what you were suggesting from the beginning. :-)
But my problem was not whether to do it, neither how to do it --- I'm
actually already doing something like that.  My point was some spammers
_do_ put list's address in the "To:" header.  It happened in the past
(in fact, that's what convinced me to add other methods to my anti-spam
filters), and I don't see any reason why it should stop happening
now.  Exactly how much spam I get this way is irrelevant, if it can be
stopped, I don't want to see it.

    Regards,

    Liviu

--