List:       procmail
Subject:    Re: for John Hardin's wish list
From:       "Edward J. Sabol" <sabol () alderaan ! gsfc ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       1998-08-26 14:49:30

Excerpts from mail: (26-Aug-98) Re: for John Hardin's wish list by Jari Aalto
>> ...I would not include the newline that separates the header and the body
>> in $H. And since the feature was my idea, I think that's the way it
>> should be implemented...
>
> I find it other way. If we want o be consistent, user must have full
> control over included field so that he can add multiline heder:
>
>    H = "${H}X-Foo-Header: blah$NL  Another row$NL 3rd row$NL"
>
> Not requiring the terminating newline creates confusion. Any programming
> language requires it when you print a line.

Jari, I didn't say that the newline that follows the last header field should
not be included in $H. I said the newline that separates the header from the
body should not be included in $H. In other words, the blank line you see
between the last header line and the first line of the body. In procmailrc
syntax,

MESSAGE = "$H
$B"

whereas Stan was thinking