List:       procmail
Subject:    Re: perl help, getting rid of 'Re(2)'
From:       Michael Helm <helm () fionn ! es ! net>
Date:       1998-03-31 22:44:48

I haven't had a chance to look at this package yet, tho
I'd like to; my own stuff has evolved from a suggestion one
of the gurus made here about 9 mos ago, & "evolved" means it
is time for a re-write!  I am using a perl-based solution now.

jari.aalto@poboxes.com writes:
>         o   MS product Outlook (??) uses "Sv:"
>         o   Lotus notes (in French version) uses "Ref: "
>         o   Some MS product sends "UQ: "

We should make a list or table of these language mappings.
More & more different ones are leaking.  Having
a table to grep against would be much more effective.  Perhaps
one could also pick one's own poison that way, that is, one
could translate "re" to "aw" or "boo" or whatever preferred.

There's more evil junk than just "re: re- re^2" to deal with too.
Here's a list of some other things I'm editing in Subject headers:

trailing (fwd?) [fwd?] <fwd?> (what next? {fwd}?)
  [is there an easy way to match the closing brackets ie
  if [fw is found, must find either d] or d ... I wind up repeating
  a lot eg ([fwd?])((fwd?)|(<fwd>) ... [[(<]fwd[])>] isn't correct
  (fill in escapes as needed) but enumeration w/ all the parentheses
  & escapes is very ugly & hard to read]  This mix with other trailers
  (below).

trailing -reply (must map to leading re:)
Any other strange trailers?

-subj, subj:, subj- usually leading, can mix with other leaders
  (legacy quickmail?)

 [FWD?: stuff] (must map to "stuff")

Wanted: Skip quoted versions of the above
 ie