List:       procmail
Subject:    Re: How to test this recipe?
From:       Christopher Lindsey <lindsey () ncsa ! uiuc ! edu>
Date:       1998-03-26 17:39:02

> Bzzt.  First off, the shell will never be invoked on the above action:
> the action line doesn't contain any characters from $SHELLMETAS, so
> procmail will do the variable expansion, argument splitting and exec of
> perl itself.  Next, even if it was variable expansion is not done
> recursively in the shell unless you use the "eval" builtin to force a
> reparsing of the line.  The parsing of the shell command line is done
> before variable expansion, so that shell syntax tokens like '&&' aren't
> special inside variables (unless you use eval).

<SIGH>.  I could've sworn that it worked for me, but I was doing it
late at night and I messed up somewhere.  Of course you're right,
Philip.  My apologies to everyone.

I think I'm too busy to respond intelligently to something as fast-paced
as this mailing list, so I'm going to sit back and not post anything
until I have time to think about what I'm saying.

For what it's worth, I have a patch to procmail that I'd be interested
in having others look at.  It basically limits what binaries can
be executed by procmail by requiring them to exist in a predefined
directory (ala smrsh).  Send me mail if you'd like to see it.

And yes, I spent time thinking about it before writing it.  :)

Chris