List:       procmail
Subject:    Re: Duplicate message handling filter
From:       era eriksson <era () iki ! fi>
Date:       1997-10-28 14:18:01

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:12:55 -0500,
wwgrol@sparc01.fw.hac.com (W. Wesley Groleau x4923) wrote:
 >> > I was wondering if any of you have a small .procmailrc filter that
 >> > ignores duplicate mail with the same subject header.  Mind you,
 >> > not based on msg-id.
 >> :0 hW :$SUBJCACHE.lock
 >> |formail -R subject: message-id: -D 65536 $SUBJCACHE
 > Hey, this is cool.  Now more questions:
 > 1. Does this drop the old message-id or does it make two message-id fields?
 > 3. Are there mail handling programs that will crash and burn when a message
 > has two IDs?

Probably. As a precaution, you can say

    formail -R Message-Id: Old-Message-Id: -R Subject: Message-Id: ...

Personally, I'm not sure duplicated Subjects are the way to go.
You could of course construct any key you want from the headers using
basically the same technique.

 > 2. Wouldn't this still ignore duplicate IDs as well as duplicate subjects?

Do you mean "filter"? Actually, it would appear that the originally
proposed solution will only look at the real Message-Id, whereas if
you rename the real Message-Id, it looks like it behaves as expected.
(This I determined only by +very+ brief testing, with what appears to
be formail 3.11pre4. Caveat implementor.)

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>