List:       privoxy-users
Subject:    Re: [privoxy-users] Logfile details
From:       Fabian Keil <fk () fabiankeil ! de>
Date:       2014-04-21 12:15:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

info@astrell.cz.cc wrote:

> > Fabian Keil <fk@...> wrotes: ...
>
> Thank you for the brief explanation of privoxy-log-parser.pl. I think that
> ratio of the number of blocked sites to the one of all sites (including
> blocked) would also be an interesting characteristic. That is how
> effectively filters reduce the number of hosts allowed by privoxy. You script
> is a good tool, with focus on average traffic characteristics and monitoring
> real-time connections. However it does not give survey what resources were
> requested for a specific period of time. Other tools of traffic analysis
> can do it, but they are generally not able to track HTTP session as a
> whole and catch URL paths. This could only be done at the application protocol
> level, and a HTTP proxy is the most appropriate tool. I think that the
> format of CLF line suggested in my previous message could provide the
> possibility of more detailed statistics.

I believe everything you suggest above could be done by Privoxy-Log-Parser
without requiring changes to Privoxy. Obviously this doesn't mean that
Privoxy's logging support couldn't be improved anyway.

> > I believe the CLF format isn't properly specified for proxies
>
> It would be interesting what is the best format for proxies in your
> opinion.

It depends on the use case.

> > I agree that this would be useful and could review and commit patches.
>
> I am not a C programmer and can not be useful in this kind of tasks. Not
> trying to force you to do this, I just wanted to know whether or not it is
> expectable. If you do not have possibility of doing this, it is OK,
> privoxy is a good tool anyway.

I just added "#122: Allow customized log messages" to the TODO list
(I thought something like this was already on it, but apparently not).
The list is pretty long already, though, so this is unlikely to happen
in the near future.

Fabian