List:       privoxy-users
Subject:    Re: [privoxy-users] Privoxy website blocked on ISP Three UK
From:       privoxyusers () i ! lucanops ! net
Date:       2013-02-20 13:42:20

On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 06:40 -0500, ישרה רביץ wrote:
> It's even easier to work around by changing your dns servers in your
> internet settings. Google's DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - OpenDNS
> servers: 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think Three UK do blocking like
that, by faking DNS results. I think some websites might be accessible
by their IP address, but I haven't tried that work around as my private
SSH tunnel arrangement works fine. SSH's socks5 dynamic tunnels are
really rather flexible (and evades web content blocking/monitoring).

The below is what Three's DNS says the IP is for thepiratebay.org (a
blocked website), along with Google and OpenDNS. Three's network is an
arrangement of NAT and proxies (at least in part because it is a mobile
phone network, devices stand to move about yet need constant
connectivity), and so the DNS their DHCP dishes out is an "internal" one
(goes with my IP of 10.blah).

$ host thepiratebay.org 172.31.139.17
Using domain server:
Name: 172.31.139.17
Address: 172.31.139.17#53
Aliases:

thepiratebay.org has address 194.71.107.50
thepiratebay.org mail is handled by 0 mx.thepiratebay.org.

$ host thepiratebay.org 8.8.4.4
Using domain server:
Name: 8.8.4.4
Address: 8.8.4.4#53
Aliases:

thepiratebay.org has address 194.71.107.50
thepiratebay.org mail is handled by 0 mx.thepiratebay.org.

$ host thepiratebay.org 208.67.220.220
Using domain server:
Name: 208.67.220.220
Address: 208.67.220.220#53
Aliases:

thepiratebay.org has address 194.71.107.50
thepiratebay.org mail is handled by 0 mx.thepiratebay.org.

Plus I'd rather use a more local DNS because of the network latency (and
uncomfortableness with the business/privacy aims of Google or
OpenDNS).... and whilst I knew I was running a local copy of Bind
(because of some past DNS hacking) I thought it was doing
caching/forwarding, but actually it looks like it is fully fledged! So
no, I'm not using my ISPs DNS already, though I'm not doing what would
be the lowest latency, either.