List:       privoxy-users
Subject:    [privoxy-users] [ ijbswa-Support Requests-2827523 ] Tooooooo
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-08-20 21:08:33

Support Requests item #2827523, was opened at 2009-07-26 23:48
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by fabiankeil
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=211118&aid=2827523&group_id=11118

not just the latest update.
Category: other
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Using privoxy increases webpage loading time from no more then a second to 15-30 \
seconds.  I use no other proxies or adblocking software.

Version: 3.0.10-13.20
OS: Suse 11.1
Browser: Firefox 3.0.11
URL Effected:  All
Firewall: Using Suse out of the box firewall and settings
Other Proxy: No
Other Software:  No other ad blocking software used
Config file:

# Generally, this file goes in /etc/privoxy/config
#
# Tor listens as a SOCKS4a proxy here:
forward-socks4a / 127.0.0.1:9050 .
confdir /var/lib/privoxy/etc
logdir /var/log/privoxy
actionsfile standard  # Internal purpose, recommended
actionsfile default   # Main actions file
actionsfile user      # User customizations
filterfile default.filter

# Don't log interesting things, only startup messages, warnings and errors
#logfile logfile
#jarfile jarfile
#debug   0    # show each GET/POST/CONNECT request
debug   4096 # Startup banner and warnings
debug   8192 # Errors - *we highly recommended enabling this*

user-manual /usr/share/doc/privoxy/user-manual
listen-address  127.0.0.1:8118
toggle  1
enable-remote-toggle 0
enable-edit-actions 0
enable-remote-http-toggle 0
buffer-limit 4096

Date: 2009-08-20 21:08

Message:
This indicates a broken Privoxy installation.

Unfortunately OpenSuse's Privoxy packages aren't known their quality.
> From the reports I get the impression that they are broken by default
(using an unpopulated chroot directory), but I never tried them myself.

Please report the problem to the OpenSuse packager or compile and install
with clean sources.

Comment By: S L (bangorme)
Date: 2009-08-01 19:27

Message:
If I type the address:  http://p.p/, I get the error:

500 Internal Privoxy Error

Privoxy encountered an error while processing your request:

Could not load template file default or one of its included components.

Please contact your proxy administrator.

If you are the proxy administrator, please put the required file(s)in the
(confdir)/templates directory. The location of the (confdir) directory is
specified in the main Privoxy config file. (It's typically the Privoxy
install directory, or /etc/privoxy/).

Comment By: S L (bangorme)
Date: 2009-08-01 19:09

Message:
I've substituted that line with:

forward-socks5a / 127.0.0.1:8118 .

Privoxy SEEMS to be working, but I don't know of a way to test it.  At
least there are no more error messages and no slowdowns.

Comment By: Fabian Keil (fabiankeil)
Date: 2009-08-01 16:11

Message:
If there's no proxy listening at 127.0.0.1:9050, Privoxy shouldn't become
slower, but should show an error message for every request.

Please remove the forward-socks4a line and try again.

Comment By: Bob Williams (drbobw)
Date: 2009-07-29 17:38

Message:
I suspect you're running tor as a relay, which is using up your available
bandwidth. I was initially too generous :) but find I can browse
comfortably now with a relay speed of 20 kb/sec., which is about 40% of my
available upload speed.

Bob

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)
Date: 2009-07-29 01:37

Message:
Thanks for the input.  Tor is disabled so I didn't think it was effecting
the speed.  I see the line

forward-socks4a / 127.0.0.1:9050 .

But Tor is configured for 127.0.0.1  port 8118 socks v5

Maybe I'm pointing privoxy at something that isn't there?

Comment By: Fabian Keil (fabiankeil)
Date: 2009-07-28 15:50

Message:
Thanks for the report.

The configuration file you posted indicates that you are using Tor as
socks proxy.

If you (temporarily) configure Privoxy to use a direct connection you'll
should see that the slowdown is caused by Tor and not by Privoxy.

If you aren't intentionally using Tor you could simply keep it out of the
loop, if you aren't sure, I'd suggest you check the Tor website to see what
the advantages and disadvantages are: https://www.torproject.org/