List:       privoxy-users
Subject:    Re: [privoxy-users] [P] Another user with a 404 error
From:       Fog_Watch <db5 () exemail ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-04-28 13:05:06

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:40:01 +0200
Fabian Keil <fk@fabiankeil.de> wrote:

> Fog_Watch <db5@exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Privoxy worked for a couple of minutes and then the browser would
> > just stall at "waiting".  /var/log/privoxy/privoxy.log ended with:
> > "Request: 127.0.0.1:8118/squid-internal-periodic/store_digest".  And
> > that was it, Privoxy would not pass anything else.  Head scratch.
> >
> > It turns out that my /chroot/privoxy/etc/hosts was stale too.
> > After I copied a fresh one into the chroot Privoxy operates without
> > error.
>
> Can you reproduce the problem? The worst affect of a
> stale hosts file should be "resolving error" messages.

Fabian, thanks for the astute reply and yes I can reproduce the error.

Yes, it appears to me now that the error "Request:
127.0.0.1:8118/squid-internal-periodic/store_digest" has nothing to do
with a stale /chroot/privoxy/etc/hosts.

My setup is [browser (firefox 2.0.0.13)] -> [dansguardian-2.8.0.6 ->
squid-Version 2.6.STABLE18 -> privoxy-(3.0.6 or 3.0.8)] -> internet.

When the proxy chain machine boots with privoxy 3.0.8 the following is
logged in /var/log/privoxy/privoxy.log after a browser attempts to use
the chain:
"Request: 127.0.0.1:8118/squid-internal-periodic/store_digest"
/etc/init.d/privoxy stop then does not work, the browser "waits"
eternally for the internet and I have to kill the privoxy process
manually.  Strangely, immediately after a 3.0.8 install, if
I /etc/init.d/privoxy start I can browse successfully.  At some later
stage though I get the error and privoxy appears to hang.  The error
after booting is reliably reproducible though.

The following is the config (3.0.8):
user-manual
file:///usr/share/doc/privoxy-3.0.8/html/user-manual/index.html
trust-info-url  http://www.example.com/why_we_block.html
trust-info-url  http://www.example.com/what_we_allow.html
confdir /etc/privoxy logdir /var/log/privoxy
actionsfile standard.action  # Internal purpose, recommended
actionsfile default.action   # Main actions file
actionsfile user.action      # User customizations
filterfile default.filter
logfile privoxy.log
debug   1    # log each request destination (and the crunch reason if
Privoxy intercepted the request) debug   4096 # Startup banner and
warnings debug   8192 # Non-fatal errors
listen-address  127.0.0.1:8118
toggle  1
enable-remote-toggle  0
enable-remote-http-toggle  0
enable-edit-actions 0
enforce-blocks 0
buffer-limit 4096
forward   /  .
      accept-intercepted-requests 1
allow-cgi-request-crunching 0
split-large-forms 0

When the proxy chain machine boots with privoxy 3.0.6 I get normal and
"crunch!" logs, not the silly "squid-internal-periodic/store_digest"
error.  The following is the config (3.0.6)

user-manual file:///usr/share/doc/privoxy-3.0.6/user-manual/index.html
trust-info-url  http://www.example.com/why_we_block.html
trust-info-url  http://www.example.com/what_we_allow.html
confdir /etc/privoxy
logdir /var/log/privoxy
actionsfile standard  # Internal purpose, recommended
actionsfile default   # Main actions file
actionsfile user      # User customizations
filterfile default.filter
logfile privoxy.log
debug   1    # show each GET/POST/CONNECT request
debug   4096 # Startup banner and warnings
debug   8192 # Errors - *we highly recommended enabling this*
listen-address  127.0.0.1:8118
toggle  1
enable-remote-toggle  1
enable-remote-http-toggle  1
enable-edit-actions 1
buffer-limit 4096
forwarded-connect-retries  0

That is, for me 3.0.6 works but 3.0.8 does not.  Does this ring any
bells for anyone?

Regards

Fog_Watch

PS, Gentoo 2.6.16-hardened-r11 (grsec, not selinux)
--
Lose wait.  Get Gentoo.