List:       privoxy-users
Subject:    [privoxy-users] [ ijbswa-Support Requests-1946769 ] Some filters
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-04-19 22:58:41

Support Requests item #1946769, was opened at 2008-04-19 10:50
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by markm68k
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=211118&aid=1946769&group_id=11118

not just the latest update.
Category: filters
Group: None

Initial Comment:
...and several Privoxy Utility 1.1 doesn't show documents!

I'm on a Mac Pro under Leopard 10.5.2 with Privoxy 3.0.8-2.  I use various browsers \
at times but mostly Camino 1.5.5 (technically 1.6.1pre nightlies) Others would be \
Safari 3.1 and FireFox 2.0.0.13 (Technically Bon Echo compiled for Intel Macs \
{Elfurbe})

I installed 3.0.8-2 and Privoxy Utility will start & stop the proxy, but under the \
"Configuration" tab, the menu ONLY shows the 'Config' file, excluding 'user.filter' \
and 'user.action'. The menu under the "Logs" tab is always empty, preventing me from \
examining any of them.

I have to edit the filter and action files with a text editor and authenticate with \
an admin password every time i save the files.

----

I'm on Yahoo quite a lot so i have 'Site Specifics' and 'Yahoo' filters turned on for \
that domain. They rarely do anything.  It's NOT because the CSS is out of date for \
the site, necessarily.  It doesn't get that far.  The CSS isn't being inserted in the \
first place!

s@</head>@...  type of matches aren't matching anything on 99% of the pages i visit, \
nor are any possible variants i try.

I've consulted different people, REGEX documentation, the horrible, outdated Privoxy \
documentation, and used REGEX testing programs and though i create filters that seem \
as if they should work, they don't. I've noted the Yahoo filter is intended to insert \
CSS code right before the </head> tag.  After quite a lot of testing it, and creating \
several similarly structured filters to attempt to locate the problem, i've gotten \
nowhere.

In fact, i've tried creating a simple filter to add "- Privoxy" to the page title, \
and to insert comments at other points in _ANY_ web page just for testing. I've also \
tried creating some other filters of my own.

I'm no PERLRE expert but i'm no newbie, and the same is true of web page construction \
and function. I'm finding it practically impossible to create filters that actually \
find a match.

The relatively useless Privoxy URL lookup GUI page can show matches on URL's and test \
software can show matches using similar filters with large sample site texts yet in \
Privoxy they JUST * DON'T * WORK!

I'm spending more time fighting Privoxy than taking care of actual business on the \
web, regardless of which browser i use and whether it has it's own proxy settings or \
uses the OS X settings!