List:       privoxy-developers
Subject:    Re: [privoxy-devel] OS X distro update
From:       Ian Silvester <iansilvester () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2012-01-21 18:40:26

On 2012-01-20, at 11:27 PM, David Schmidt wrote:

> On 1/20/2012 8:52 PM, Ian Silvester wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Thought it was time for a brief update on my progress (I'm sure you all thought \
> > I'd given up!).
>
> Open source happens at your pace, not anyone else's.

So true!

> > My intention is to, in the end, have a semi-automated system for putting together \
> > OS X Privoxy installation packages supporting all releases of OS X from Tiger \
> > upward for PPC, x86 and x64 processor architectures. I will also write \
> > comprehensive documentation for this build-and-package system.
>
> My thoughts are that 1) PPC systems are getting more rare, and 2)
> package what you need first - the rest can come later.

Yes, fair comment. I do have a personal motivation though 'cos my target machines are \
10.6 Intel 64 bit and 10.4 PPC ;o)

> > Having reviewed the existing Macintosh projects in CVS I found many useful \
> > components but not one cohesive system. Most notably, the pre/postinstall scripts \
> > and uninstallation scripts do not take into account all possible versions of OS \
> > X. Of secondary importance are pan-OS X version start/stop scripts.
>
> Yeah, back to point 2) above.  Comprehensive coverage is a nice-to-have,
> and a valuable and interesting project - but don't get too wrapped up in
> one grand unified vision - especially for the older versions.

Cool - I'll go for a release that includes an uninstaller but leave the start/stop \
scripts for a later effort. Also for a later release will be sensing the Intel \
processor architecture and installing the appropriate binary.

> > It doesn't look like I'll be providing any diffs to existing project files. \
> > Though the work I'm doing does stand on the shoulders of that done by Mark and \
> > Davids respective projects, I'd rather create a new and separate folder for the \
> > sake of clarity. This I can supply in whatever format is preferred when it comes \
> > to it.
>
> That sounds fine.

I should also have mentioned that I stand on the shoulders of Fabian's work! The make \
install script has been an essential source of ideas.

> > Finally then, some time in the next couple of weeks (depending on how much free \
> > time I get!) I can supply a completed package for testing. What is/are the target \
> > environment(s) to be (OS X revision and processor arch)?
>
> 10.5 and 10.6, Intel.

Cool, thanks. I'll let you know privately when I've produced this (I'll make it 32 \
bit for broader support).

> 10.7 may or may not be interesting - they're
> moving ever closer to the iOS model, and we can't play in the App store.

Another Privoxy user who has published OS X packages he's built on OSXHints.com has \
volunteered to test 10.7 Intel, so we should have coverage there (at least until \
Apple flick the switch and enforce code signing :o(

> I just learned how to make a pretty .dmg and a drag/drop install just
> like Mozilla.  I can help with that if that's of interest to you.

Thanks for the offer David, but I'm going to have to go with a .pkg so as to get the \
freedom to run scripts pre/post install to create the user/group and such. I don't \
plan to wrap the .pkg in a .dmg.

I'll be in touch again within a week or two tops,

Ian