List:       privoxy-developers
Subject:    Re: [privoxy-devel] Dynamically linking to pcre (was: Release date
From:       Lee <ler762 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-03 0:32:24

On 1/1/12, Fabian Keil <fk@fabiankeil.de> wrote:
> Lee <ler762@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It should in theory work similar to the way the external
>> > zlib is used:
>> >
>> > 1. Install a recent pcre version and its header files.
>> > 2. Figure out a way to convince configure that a dynamic
>> >    pcre version is available. It might work out of the box
>> >    or require some fiddling.
>> > 3. Get it to compile. Again, it might just work.
>> > 4. Figure out a way to get the compiled binary working
>> >    when installed from a package. This might require
>> >    shipping a dll for pcre.
>>
>> I'm using the cygwin 1.5 environment for building Privoxy.  I'll take
>> another stab at upgrading to cygwin 1.7 cross-compiler in a week or
>> two (cygwin dropped support for --enable-mingw32 when they released
>> 1.7 and GCC 4.x, so to get a current pcre library I'm guessing that I
>> need to figure out the cygwin cross-compile stuff or figure out how to
>> use mingw)
>
> Whatever pcre version is packaged for cygwin 1.5 is likely
> to be a lot more recent than "our" version, so I think using
> a more recent pcre version and using a more recent cygwin
> environment are two separate problems that don't necessarily
> have to be solved together.

For whatever it's worth, there's a cygwin mingw-zlib package; I think
that's why the windows version of privoxy has zlib support..  I
couldn't find a mingw pcre package for cygwin.

I think that using the pcre version that comes with cygwin means that
all the cygwin dlls need to be present on the machine running the
program.  I **think** that to get a stand-alone program one needs to
use the old cygwin --enable-mingw32 or use the new cygwin &
cross-compile using the mingw toolset

> Whatever method works to dynamically link to the pcre
> version packages for cygwin 1.5 is likely to work for
> later cygwin versions as well.

I would hope so..

>> > The alternative would be to update "our" pcre version
>> > and to continue statically compiling pcre into the
>> > Privoxy binary.

Which sounds like a non-trivial effort :(

I dunno..  I might try building a pcre library with the old cygwin
--enable-mingw32 to see if that works.  But if it takes more than
configure; make; make install; I'd rather spend the time & effort
getting something working using the current cygwin environment.

Lee