List:       privoxy-developers
Subject:    [privoxy-devel] [ ijbswa-Feature Requests-1094348 ] Authentication/Password
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2005-06-02 18:53:30

Feature Requests item #1094348, was opened at 2005-01-01 21:13
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by nobody
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=361118&aid=1094348&group_id=11118

not just the latest update.
Category: Configuration
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Please add the ability to not only permit access by IP (or
range of IPs via subnet masking), but also by password.
While most users are implementing Privoxy in a gateway
context (LAN IPs, therefor very easily masked or DHCP
rules on routing equipment to assign certain IPs by
MAC), I (and presumably others) would like to use
Privoxy in a totally WAN setting. Many people, even on
higher end connections are forced to use dynamic IPs.

My humble suggestion would be to have 3 levels of
access:

1) anonymous - no username or password required. This
would be used in the LAN setting, because you can use
the permit-access configuration variable to set access
by IP or range of IPs

2) semi-anonymous - either no username, or assumed
username of "anonymous" and a password. This way
people running Privoxy could make their proxy server
available to whomever simply by giving them the "generic
user" password and not having to edit the configuration
for the new IP, or even know it.

3) full login - requires user-specific username and
password, and assigns rules per user, similar to FTP
access.

This would permit easily administration by having classes
of users and rules associated with each class. Please
give this consideration, as I believe it would be both
easily implemented (any client software that uses
proxies already has fields for login information), and
would go miles towards polishing an already excellent
program.

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)