List:       prelude-devel
Subject:    Re: [prelude-devel] [RFC] plugins instances
From:       Yoann Vandoorselaere <yoann () prelude-ids ! org>
Date:       2004-04-30 19:49:40

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 18:00 +0200, Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:
> Hi,
>
> work is under way for plugins instances to work. Plugins instance will
> allow to start different version of the same plugin in memory, for
> example, you could load two instance of the MySQL plugin connecting to
> different mysql database. You could load different instance of a report
> plugin and address filter to theses differents instance.
>
> Here is an example, which will create 3 instance (numbered 0, 1, 2) of
> the "debug" plugin, and set the -p option for the third instance (2).
> Here we use the command line to create theses instance, but you can use
> the configuration file or the administrative console as well.
>
>  /usr/local/bin/prelude-lml --debug --debug --debug --debug [2] -p

The default is now to give a default name to instance, if no one has
been provided. Which mean calling several time --debug will always
address the same instance. You now also got the possibility to name
instance:

prelude-lml --debug --debug myinstancename --debug -p --debug myinstancename -p

will result in:
- create an instance of debug named "default"
- create an instance of debug named "myinstancename"
- will set the -p option on instance "default"
- will set the -p option on instance "myinstancename".

This should be much more user friendly...

--
Yoann Vandoorselaere <yoann@prelude-ids.org>