List:       pptpclient-devel
Subject:    Re: [pptp-devel] Difficulty connecting to PureVPN
From:       James Cameron <quozl () laptop ! org>
Date:       2018-04-20 5:47:53

As PureVPN gave you those instructions, you should talk to them about
it.  On the face of it, they look correct, though out of date and
overblown.  They failed to explain quoting and substituting values
while editing the file.  The error you got looks like the file is
incomplete or has a gap.

For security reasons, don't share the file without removing your
username and password.

My instructions for doing the same thing are here;

http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-debian.phtml#configure_by_hand

I've checked, and these instructions are still correct; I was able to
configure a tunnel with these words in the file;

pty "pptp $SERVER --nolaunchpppd"
name $USER
remotename PPTP
require-mppe-128
file /etc/ppp/options.pptp

With my password in chap-secrets.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 03:26:23PM +0000, Darren Browne via pptpclient-devel wrote:
> I'm having a problem setting up PureVPN on a Raspberry Pi. I followed the PPTP
> instructions at the link [1]https://support.purevpn.com/
> how-to-setup-purevpn-on-raspberry-pi. I created a file in /etc/ppp/peers named
> server.config and entered the recommended settings. For $VPNHOSTNAME, PureVPN
> doesn't provide IP addresses, so I used one of their DNS server addresses;
> vlus-af1.pointtoserver.com.
>
> When I enter pon server.config, I get the following error:
> /usr/sbin/ppdp: in file /etc/ppp/peers/server.config: '
> vlus-af1.pointtoserver.com'
>
> I've tried replacing the VPNHOSTNAME with other servers without any success. I
> am a complete Linux NOOB, so there isn't much that I know how to do, and I
> haven't seen this exact error in google searches. Others seem to have
> difficulty with other options in their file (for other services, not PureVPN).
>
> I've checked in with PureVPN help. They gave me a few other servers to try then
> suggested that I try openvpn, but I have tried openvpn before without success.
> So, before I switch, I'd like to see if there is an easy fix for this error.
> Would this error be because pptp tried to connect to the server and failed, is
> the server name format wrong, should I be editing another file, or is this a
> problem with iptables that I can somehow fix?

> [1] https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-setup-purevpn-on-raspberry-pi

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/