List:       pptpclient-devel
Subject:    Re: [pptp-devel] can't connect to vpn with ubuntu 7.10
From:       James Cameron <james.cameron () hp ! com>
Date:       2007-11-27 10:42:08

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:24:54AM -0800, steve dell wrote:
> I have posted all detail of the ping and what my screen has said in
> this thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617239

A ping is not totally reliable way to test, because a VPN server can
still work without ping working.  You must test it from your working
system as well, to see if it normally works.

However, the ping test you did shows an ICMP response from something
between your system and the VPN server, claiming it has rejected the
ping.  This is a response from something other than the VPN server.
That shows you the problem may relate to something else other than your
system.

I presume that 10.10.10.10 is an artificial address you've used to hide
information ... which is fine.  But if it is not, it is not a valid
address unless you are on an internal network to begin with.

You should ignore the ping evidence now and try gathering evidence from
daemon.log, in case it is another problem.

--
James Cameron                         http://quozl.netrek.org/
HP Open Source, Volunteer             http://opensource.hp.com/