List:       pptpclient-devel
Subject:    [pptp-devel] my problem solved, require-mppe was the source of it
From:       "Ilya Mezhirov" <mezhirov () mail ! ru>
Date:       2005-09-01 14:37:35

Hello,

The Diagnosis HOWTO was right, I was wrong.
At least the solution suggested in the HOWTO was right, but the explanation is \
misguiding. I mean this sentence (about "LCP ProtRej id=0x??"):
"Cause of this situation is not known, but it may be due to the PPTP Server being \
configured for 40-bit encryption only."

In fact, nomppe works as require-mppe, and require-mppe seems to cause ProtRej \
messages. The nomppe-128 option suggested in the HOWTO doesn't switch to 40-bit, it \
forces 128-bit encryption! Look:

with nomppe-128:
rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x3f <mppe +H -M +S -L -D -C>]
sent [CCP ConfAck id=0x3f <mppe +H -M +S -L -D -C>]
MPPE 128-bit stateless transmit compression enabled

with nomppe-40:
rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x25 <mppe +H -M -S +L -D -C>]
sent [CCP ConfAck id=0x25 <mppe +H -M -S +L -D -C>]
MPPE 40-bit stateless compression enabled

(and with "require-mppe-40 nomppe-128" it doesn't work).

Now it works. Thank you for the great program!

Best regards,
Ilya