List:       pptpclient-devel
Subject:    Re: [pptp-devel] CHAP Success but then disconnect
From:       James Cameron <james.cameron () hp ! com>
Date:       2002-09-24 23:25:52

On Sun, 2002-09-22 at 08:05, Ostdeutschland@gmx.de wrote:
> First question. Does it matter, weather the modul name is mppe.o or
> ppp_mppe.o ?

No, it does not matter.  It is possible to get it working either way.

(I think I'm beginning to see that the module name relates to the origin
of the kernel mppe patches; there have been two development efforts, one
as a patch to pppd that was not integrated into the pppd CVS, and the
later work that was integrated.  ppp_mppe.o is the more correct name,
and shows that you have the integrated patch by Frank Cusack.)

> <snip>
> rcvd [CCP ConfNak id=0x3 <mppe 0 0 0 0>]
> sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x4]
> rcvd [CCP ConfNak id=0x4 <mppe 0 0 0 0>]
> sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x5]

Missing information.  Can you supply the CCP negotiations before the
first one you have above?  I'm only guessing that the text below is a
repeat of negotiation.

> rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x5 <mppe 1 0 0 a1>]
> sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x5 <mppe 1 0 0 20>]
> rcvd [CCP ConfNak id=0xa <mppe 0 0 0 0>]
> sent [CCP ConfReq id=0xb]
> rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x6 "Ys>W\000<\37777777715t\000\000\002\37777777746"]
> LCP terminated by peer (Ys>W^@<M-Mt^@^@^BM-f)

PPTP Server terminated the connection because it could not negotiate
MPPE.  The reject from your client (sent CCP ConfRej id=0x5 <mppe 1 0 0
20>]) suggests that it was unwilling to do 40 bit stateless MPPE.  [I
wish someone would tell me if I'm right on that, sometimes I worry about
how to interpret ConfNaks]

The previous request from the server says it was willing to do stateless
MPPE 57 bit, 40 bit, and MPPC.

This problem happened for others in the past if;

- you hadn't provided mppe-40, mppe-128 and mppe-stateless in the
options to pppd, (e.g. in the options.pptp file if any)

- the kernel modules have been rebuilt from kernel sources overwriting
the ppp_mppe.o or ppp_generic.o modules that were installed for MPPE
support.

--
James Cameron                                     (james.cameron@hp.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/         (or)         http://quozl.netrek.org/