List:       postgresql-sql
Subject:    Re: [SQL] Enhancement to SQL query capabilities
From:       Andrew Smith <laconical () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-03-18 22:09:43

> If you go the route of homebrewing a code solution, the app will stay
> outside the coding mainstream, making the next person to take your role
> very hard to find, if they can be found at all.  I always think of the
> customer's long term interests, in addition to the short term pain/cost…and
> I do feel your pain – there will be no shortcut to the endzone for you,
> with  that much non-standard code to update.

> Aside from the other solutions that have been mentioned, have you
> considered querying a view that contains the desired join?
>
> There's no substitute for fixing that nonstandard syntax, in any case.
> Even if you could persuade pgsql-hackers that the concept was good
> (which I really doubt), they'd not go for using : as a selector.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions guys - using Natural joins and views is
definitely something I'll look into to make selecting data from the
database easier for users/app developers. In terms of insert/update/delete
scripts, I guess I could write something to parse the existing scripts and
update them to ANSI SQL instead of our custom version. That is probably a
better approach than a custom psql that someone else will have to maintain
going forward.

Cheers

Andrew