List:       postgresql-sql
Subject:    [SQL] How to FindNearest
From:       "Alexander Ilyin" <a_ilyin () ukr ! net>
Date:       2006-09-30 8:43:40

How to implement the functionality similar to the BDE/Paradox TTable.FindNearest?

Suppose we have huge table. On the screen we need to show contents of that table in \
the Grid and under that Grid user can input in TextBox some letters. OnChange of this \
TextBox we need to make current row selection in the Grid on the row with value of \
some column nearest to the user input in the TextBox.

How this can be implemented in PostgreSQL?

At my first sight:
I found there is CURSOR functionality which can move that cursor through the \
ResultSet. But we can move it just relatively phisical row number. Is there any \
chance to make cursor move to the row by some rule based on the row values?

All possible approaches and ideas highly appreciated. There is just one requirement - \
the performance, it should work as fast as possible.

Regards,
Alexander Ilyin

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq