List:       postgresql-sql
Subject:    Re: [SQL] How to get list of days between two dates?
From:       Tim Middleton <x () vex ! net>
Date:       2006-06-07 5:06:29

This is going to be ugly, and I can't even say for sure it's right (and if by
chance it is right, I imagine it still might be more efficient broken up in a
function), but intrigued by learning about generate_series() from Scott
Marlows response I fiddled until I got the results specified like this...

SELECT dt, event_name
FROM (
    SELECT (mn.d + s.d) AS dt
    FROM (
        SELECT min(start_time) FROM test_events) AS mn(d),
                generate_series(0, (
                        SELECT (extract('epoch' from age(max(end_time),
                                min(start_time)))/86400)::integer
                        FROM test_events))
                        AS s(d))
    AS x
JOIN test_events AS y ON (dt BETWEEN start_time AND end_time)
ORDER BY dt, event_name;

     dt     |  event_name
------------+--------------
 2006-05-01 | First Event
 2006-05-02 | First Event
 2006-05-02 | Second Event
 2006-05-03 | First Event
 2006-05-04 | First Event
 2006-05-04 | Third Event
 2006-05-05 | Third Event
 2006-05-07 | Fourth Event
(8 rows)

--
Tim Middleton | Vex.Net    | "Who is Ungit?" said he, still holding
x@veX.net     | VexTech.ca | my hands. --C.S.Lewis (TWHF)