List:       postgresql-ports
Subject:    [PORTS] Re: Solaris 2.6 ports
From:       "Carilda A. Thomas" <agacat () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1998-04-16 15:32:35

Let me add my two cents to the fray:

I have built 6.3.2 on Solaris 2.6 using gcc 2.8.1.  The gcc was built in
multiple stages.  The version I started with was built on Solaris 2.4.
I then used the 2.6 built version for two more rebuilds.  As it happens,
I attempt to build complete with shared objects, and have a little
teensy problem with constraints and triggers generating a bogus notice,
but this does not seem to affect operation of the data base (or has not
yet, anyway).  (I have sent separate correspondence to scrappy@hub.org
about this, so we'll see....)

I have not really researched this type of problem, but some of the
documentation I have seen go by implies there is a problem with the
Solaris 2.5 version of -- I think -- one of the malloc's.  Probably the
fact that I used 2.4 binaries to build the 2.6 gcc helped to avert some
of the problems you all are having.

If anyone wants to get in touch with me and pick up my gcc, I'd be glad
to share.  I've used this gcc to build a Solaris 2.6 version of a bunch
of other tools, too, and gotten a good result on any included test
suites.

Y'all keep up the terrific work, please!

the cat