List:       postgresql-hackers
Subject:    Re: why is the permission granted in a non-recursive way and what are the benefits
From:       Tom Lane <tgl () sss ! pgh ! pa ! us>
Date:       2021-05-31 13:44:14

mzj1996@mail.ustc.edu.cn writes:
> In most scenarios, we want to assign permissions to a table and partitio=
n table to a user, but in postgresql, permissions are not recursive, so we=
 need to spend extra energy to do this. So let's ask the postgresql team, =
why is the permission granted in a non-recursive way and what are the bene=
fits?

It's intentional, because you might not wish to allow users of the
partitioned table to mess with the partitions directly.  Since only
the table directly named in the query is permission-checked, it's
not necessary for users of the partitioned table to have such child
permissions.

			regards, tom lane