List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] Re: unixODBC again :-(
From:       Nick Gorham <nick () lurcher ! org>
Date:       2001-01-24 18:53:42

peter_e@gmx.net wrote:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > 1. Add options to use unixODBC in the configure.in file, the mainly consists of \
> > >                 finding the root of the unixODBC install prefix, and adding
> > > -I /unixODBC/path/include and -L /unixODBC/path/lib to the driver build
>
> --with-includes, --with-libraries

If it works then fine, other drivers use a --with-unixODBC to enable any other \
changes that are needed.

> > > 2. Change the way the driver gets config info, to be the same as when built \
> > > under windows. link with -lodbcinst and it provides SQLGetPrivateProfileString. \
> > > the code that calls this works as long as the correct define is set.
>
> I don't understand this.  The driver gets the config info just fine; why
> add another way?

Well because the driver does not know where to get the config info from, \
libodbcinst.so in unixODBC provides SQLGetPrivateProfileString, the location of user \
and system ini files are defined by this lib, if it doesn't do this you may have the \
situation where the driver manager gets information from one ini file and the driver \
from a different one.

> > > 3. Stop calling ODBC functions in the driver, this is simple but messy, the \
> > > problem being the call (say) in SQLAllocStmt that calls SQLAllocHandle in the \
> > > driver, ends up calling the SQLAllocHandle in the driver manager.
>
> This is fixed using magic linker options on ELF platforms.  I don't recall
> how the patch tried to address this, but a better solution is probably
> necessary.

If there is a better way, please let me know, I would love to have a better solution.

> > > There are a couple of other changes I have made, that you may want
> > to add, I added the code to allow encrypted passwords (taken from the
> > pg > lib), as crypt is avaiable on unix.
>
> Why not.
>
> > Add the option to detect a
> > server name of localhost, and open the unix domain socket,
>
> I don't think so.  localhost is a valid host name.

Ok, but don't you think it is worth having some way to get it to use UNIX domain \
sockets instead of TCP ones, for instance if postmaster isn't started with a -i ?

> We have a general approach to non-standard socket names now.

Great, thats a non problem then, what do you do ?

--
Nick Gorham
When I die, I want to go like my grandfather did, gently while sleeping,