peter_e@gmx.net wrote: > Nick Gorham writes: > > > Well because the driver does not know where to get the config info > > from, > > Then the driver should be fixed to do that, with or without unixODBC. Well yes, but again, using the Windows situation as a model (not that I would normally suggest windows as a role model for anything), its not the drivers job to know or care where the info comes from, that the job of the (a) driver manager. > > libodbcinst.so in unixODBC provides SQLGetPrivateProfileString, > > the location of user and system ini files are defined by this lib, if > > it doesn't do this you may have the situation where the driver manager > > gets information from one ini file and the driver from a different > > one. > > --with-odbcinst=DIRECTORY Yes but there are two places, the user ~/.odbc.ini directory, and the system /sysconfdir/odbc.ini. using the odbcinst lib, means all drivers can use the same info store, and you can just install a binary driver without having to set any configuration. > > > > Add the option to detect a > > > > server name of localhost, and open the unix domain socket, > > > > > > I don't think so. localhost is a valid host name. > > > > Ok, but don't you think it is worth having some way to get it to use > > UNIX domain sockets instead of TCP ones, for instance if postmaster > > isn't started with a -i ? > > Yes, that would be okay, but it's not okay to eliminate a feature to add > another one. I would agree with that, I just did it the way I did as it fitted what some users needed. Not sure how many people would have a network setup with localhost set in dns to point to another machine, Though I agree there is no reason why you couldn't do it. > > > We have a general approach to non-standard socket names now. > > > > Great, thats a non problem then, what do you do ? > > Pick up DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR from config.h. Thats ok, but if I was to keep a driver in unixODBC distrib, I would have to have a --postgres-socket= option in the config, same problem with odbcinst but in reverse. Maybe no simple answer to that one. All I do at the moment, is have the driver try the two places it knows about, maybe it should be in the ini file, perhaps if the socket_location is set it would connect via that. It would fix the problem with using localhost to switch the connection method. -- Nick Gorham When I die, I want to go like my grandfather did, gently while sleeping, and not like his passangers, screaming in a panic, looking for the inflatable raft. -- Seen on ./