List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    [GENERAL] Re: info on people running postgre
From:       Fabrice Scemama <fabrice.scemama () gesnet ! net>
Date:       1999-03-26 18:32:04

Hi

We are using PostgreSQL for an extranet project.
About one hundred small firms will have a Linux server,
and their own intranet (Apache, PostgreSQL, Perl CGI
using DBI). On a once a day basis, each linux box
connects to a central server (same config) and makes
an update.

The update is triple:
- Update the data: get what is new, send what has changed
- Update the CGI programs theirselves
- Possibly, get a patch and apply it so to update
  the structure of tables.

PostgreSQL is a nice tool to do this, as we can
schedule the ~100 updates/day. Our small businesses
don't need ultra-tuned and fastest database, and
could not afford them anyway. But we enjoy Postgres'
handling transactions so well.

We vacuum everything every day, and like Pg a lot.
Thanks to the developing community.
Go and use it with no fear!

Fabrice Scemama
Gesnet Consulting / Paris