List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    [GENERAL] Unique indices and inheritance
From:       Bruce Guenter <bguenter-pgsql-general () qcc ! sk ! ca>
Date:       1999-03-26 6:16:56

Greetings.

In the following situation:
	create table foo (id int4);
	create table bar (val int4) inherits(foo);
Is it possible to create a unique index such that no record in either
foo or bar (in other words, in foo*) has a duplicated id?  I tried what
seemed to be most obvious to me by doing:
	create unique index foo_pkey on foo*(id);
but it caused a syntax error.  Creating a unique index on just foo
allows duplicates between the two tables.
--
Bruce Guenter, QCC Communications Corp.  EMail: bruce.guenter@qcc.sk.ca
Phone: (306)249-0220               WWW: http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~bguenter/