List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: debugger from superuser only.... why?
From:       Luca Ferrari <fluca1978 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-09-28 6:35:01

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 1:30 PM Alexander Petrossian
<alexander.petrossian@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 25 сент. 2023 г., в 17:28, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> написал(а):
> > Even if there's a way to restrict
> > debugging connections to sessions owned by the same user,
>
> I guess, there is such a way. Looks trivial...

I think that any debugger in any environment can be nasty things,
being able to trace and modify a running "thing". Having said that, I
believe that the reason about why pldebugger needs superuser
privileges could be explained only by the authors (or someone reading
the code).
Quite frankly, I would point out that you probably would not allow
pldebugger to run on a production system, as well as you probably will
not debug your production application thing. flipping the coin, it
could be that requiring superuser privileges to attach the debugger is
a good thing, so you normal poor user don't risk to attach a malicious
debugger in a production environment (because you don't have superuser
privileges in a production environment, right?).
But again, I suspect only the authors can explain that.

Luca