List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: SELECT * FROM huge_table LIMIT 10; Why does it take more than 10 min to complete, with cold cach
From:       Tom Lane <tgl () sss ! pgh ! pa ! us>
Date:       2023-01-31 17:15:29

Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net> writes:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2023, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Do you get the same 10 rows when you repeat the command?

> Yes. Just tested with both cold and hot caches. The first 10 rows are
> exactly the same, either they return slowly or immediately.

Hm.  I don't recall exactly how synchronize_seqscans works --- it
definitely changes the point in the table where a seqscan begins
scanning, but I don't remember where/when that point gets updated
(and I'm too lazy to go look).  This result suggests that the first
query advances the table's sync start point to someplace a bit before
the first live tuple, not after all the returned tuples as I'd been
thinking.  It might be that the start point is always the beginning
of a block, so that if you fetch only a few tuples that are all in
the same block then the next attempt will re-fetch them.  If you
increase the LIMIT to say 1000, does the behavior (with
synchronize_seqscans on) change?

>> If turning synchronize_seqscans off changes the behavior, that'd
>> be a good clue that this is the right theory.

> Turning it off makes the query slow no matter how many times I re-run it.

OK, well that's enough of a smoking gun to say that it is the sync
start point that's the relevant state, and not the contents of your
data caches at all.

Anyway, the follow-on discussion makes it clear that you do indeed
have a badly bloated table, and fixing that situation should fix
this performance issue.

			regards, tom lane