List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: 20220226-Clarification regarding delay time of PostgeSQL starting up
From:       Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-02-26 21:13:13

On 2/26/22 13:34, Techsupport wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> Is it a good practice to upgrade / update database on production on every
> year ?

No, it is not a good practice. Database upgrade must be treated as a
project which will result in non-negligible downtime. You should upgrade
to the new version if the new version brings about features that you
need. Here is the list of new features, introduced in the PostgreSQL 14:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/release-14.html#id-1.11.6.7.5

If you need any of the listed features, you should upgrade. If not, you
can safely skip the release. Upgrade is something that has business
repercussions, inconveniences the database users and should be subjected
to the same cost-benefit analysis as every other major IT move. Upgrade
policy is usually set by the management, not by the DBA, much to chagrin
of the DBA personnel. I used to be a DBA for a very long time and I know.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant