List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: jsonb: unwrapping text
From:       tomas () tuxteam ! de
Date:       2021-10-28 8:53:58

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 04:18:20PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 11:58 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>

> > I've found out that one can treat a string singleton as if it
> > were an array:
> >
> >   foo=# select '"foo"'::jsonb ->> 0;
> >    ?column?
> >   ----------
> >    foo
> >   (1 row)
> >
> > which conveniently returns the right type. My question: can I rely
> > on that, or am I missing a much more obvious option?
> >

> Not sure if this exact behavior is trustworthy - but you are on the right
> path. Place the value into either a json array or json object and then use
> the text versions of the accessor methods to get the json value to pass
> through the decoding routine.

Thanks a bunch :)

I know that, behind the scenes, jsonb scalars (didn't check that
for json) are actually represented as one-element arrays, but was unsure
how much this can be relied on as "official interface" :-)

This leaves us with

  foo=# select jsonb_build_array('"foo"'::jsonb)->>0;
   ?column?
   foo
  (1 row)

...which feels somewhat roundabout, but hey, it actually works. I'll

What also seems to work is #>> with an empty path specifier, i.e.

  select '"foo"'::jsonb #>> '{}';

...but all of them feel somewhat hacky. I'll post a request with the
form linked in [1], let's see :-)

Thanks again for your assessment, cheers
 - t