List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: ts_parse reports different between MacOS, FreeBSD/Linux
From:       Tom Lane <tgl () sss ! pgh ! pa ! us>
Date:       2020-12-22 18:46:44

"Mark Felder" <feld@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> We have an application whose test suite fails on MacOS when running the =
search tests on unicode characters.

Yeah, known problem :-(.  The text search parser relies on the C library's
locale data to classify characters as being letters, digits, etc.
Unfortunately, the UTF8 locales on macOS are just horribly bad, and
report many results that are different from other platforms.

I suppose that Apple has got reasonable Unicode character knowledge
somewhere in their OS; they are just not very interested in making the
POSIX locale APIs work well.  Which leaves us with a bit of a problem
for getting consistent results cross-platform.

			regards, tom lane