List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: Order by lower(column-alias) doesn't work...
From:       Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas () visena ! com>
Date:       2020-05-28 13:36:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/related)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/alternative)]

På torsdag 28. mai 2020 kl. 15:26:42, skrev Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
<mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>>:
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> writes:
 > Is there a way to define "sorting-rules" on custom-types so that I can have
 > ORDER BY <my_array_of_custom_types_alias> and PG will pick my custom
odering?

 You'd have to write your own type, which would be a lotta work :-(.

 A possible partial answer is to define the composite type as

 firstname citext, lastname citext, other-fields-here

 and then the regular composite-type comparison rule would give you
 approximately what you said you wanted ... but only approximately.

 regards, tom lane

Hm, ok. I think the most non-intrusive way for me is to craft a sub-select
producing the "varchar-string-flattened" so I can order by that alias.

--
 Andreas Joseph Krogh