List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    RE: [EXT EMAIL] Re: First Time Starting Up PostgreSQL and Having Problems
From:       Kevin Brannen <KBrannen () efji ! com>
Date:       2019-06-24 17:27:48

> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us

> Brent Bates <BBates@langleyfcu.org> writes:
> > I found the problem.  I cleared everything out and started from scratch, then \
> > slowly added my changes back to the configuration files.  The problem was in the \
> > postgresql.conf.  At the bottom of the file I had uncommented all the ‘include' \
> > lines, so they looked like this: include_dir = ''                        # \
> > include files ending in '.conf' from

> Ah-hah!  I wonder if we should disallow empty values for these GUCs?
> And/or put in some kind of test for recursive opening of the same config file?  I \
> don't think it'd occurred to anyone that it's this easy to get the code to try to \
> do that.

I would encourage this. 😊 I know on one of my early installs some time back I \
accidentally did:

data_directory = ''

and had a devil of a time figuring out why the postmaster wouldn't start (in fact it \
was you Tom that pointed me in the right direction to eventually find the \
misconfiguration). So I think it would be a great idea to add checks for empty \
strings in places where that's a problem. An unset value (as in the config is \
commented out) can be OK as any defaults will be used, but to set some values to the \
empty string just hurts and it would be a help to new users, or even those of us who \
make typos, 😊 to get better error messages so we can fix the problem faster on our \
own.

Kevin

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages \
attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended \
recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you \
are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of \
the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If \
you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply \
e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading \
them or saving them to disk. Thank you.