List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] [BUGS] BUG #14759: insert into foreign data partitions fail
From:       "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-07-31 21:41:48

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:29 PM, Amit Langote <
Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

> > I'm curious what the other limitations are...
>
> When I first wrote that documentation line (I am assuming you're asking
> about "although these have some limitations that normal tables do not"), I
> was thinking about the fact that the core system does not enforce
> (locally) any constraints defined on foreign tables.  Since we allow
> inserting data into partitions directly, it is imperative that we enforce
> the "partition constraint" along with the traditional constraints such as
> NOT NULL and CHECK constraints, which we can do for local table partitions
> but not for foreign table ones.
>
> Anyway, attached patch documents all these limitations about foreign table
> partitions more prominently.

​The revised patch down-thread looks good.  Thanks.

I indeed was referring to the paragraph you quoted.

​I would probably just   s/For example/In particular/   and call it good -
or maybe also tell the user that all the limitations are listed in the
notes section for create foreign table (though my first thoughts are all
quite wordy).

David J.