List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] Why are data files stored in /var/lib
From:       Rafal Pietrak <rafal () ztk-rp ! eu>
Date:       2016-04-30 13:32:07

W dniu 30.04.2016 o 05:45, Manuel Gómez pisze:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Charles Clavadetscher
> <clavadetscher@swisspug.org> wrote:
> > I had a discussion yesterday with some friends, who are sysadmins about the \
> > location of database files. In a default installation from a distribution \
> > (apt-get install) PostgreSQL creates a cluster unter /var/lib/. According to my \
> > colleagues /var/lib should not contain data that is supposed to last over time.
>
> Your sysadmin friends should read the excellent
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARLIBVARIABLESTATEINFORMATION

I always wandered why /SRV isn't used for that (see:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM)

Personally, (irrespectively of the package/distribution defaults) I
always put my databases in /srv/pgdat - upgrades that disrupt such
initial override are seldom.

-R