List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] dropdb breaks replication?
From:       Edson Richter <edsonrichter () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-31 23:56:05

Em 31/10/2012 20:47, Greg Williamson escreveu:
> Edson --
>
> > I've two PostgreSQL 9.1.6 running on Linux CentOS 5.8 64bit.
> > They are replicated asynchronously.
> >
> > Yesterday, I've dropped a database of 20Gb, and then replication has broken, \
> > requiring me to manually synchronize both servers again.
> > It is expected that dropdb (or, perhaps, createdb) break existing replication \
> > between servers?
>
> Sorry for the slow response -- as others have indicated, the drop db is probably \
> not the problem. We have one system that drops a several-gig database hourly and \
> the replication has never failed. We see issues on the master with dead file \
> handles but the replication itself is rock solid.
> Greg

Our application should (almost) never delete databases, but just in case
I'll keep an eye open, and manually sync the replication if needed. It
is not a major issue, was more a matter of curiosity.

Also, John pointed that xlog in PostgreSQL is not the same as the
concept I had from Oracle days.

Thanks, Greg (and everyone).

Edson