List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    [GENERAL] Merged Model for libpq
From:       Annamalai Gurusami <annamalai.gurusami () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-31 16:46:17

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

Hi All,

I would like to know about the best approach to take for providing a merged
model of libpq library.  When I say "merged model" it means that the client
and server would be running as a single process.  A single client libpq
application can be linked to either the client-server libpq library or
merged libpq library.  For more clarity here is a small flow diagram:

Client Server Model:

Application -> libpq library (cs) -> TCP/IP network -> libpq (backend) ->
pgsql server

Merged Model:

Application -> libpq library (merged) -> pgsql server

One approach that we are having in mind is to use the SPI interface and
re-implement the libpq APIs.  Is there any other better approach?   Would it
be possible to implement the client server protocol into an API interface,
without involving the TCP/IP network?

Your thoughts and suggestions on this would be highly appreciated.

Rgds,
anna

--
'உண்மை ஒருநாள் வெளியாகும், \