List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?
From:       Greg Smith <greg () 2ndquadrant ! com>
Date:       2010-07-30 13:17:16

Bill wrote:
> I have been told that the limit on Windows is about 300 concurrent users.

It's actually a good bit worse than that unless you do some very
specific Windows tuning--125.  See the last entry at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows
for details.

Most PostgreSQL installations with a large number of connections benefit
from connection pooling though, which improves this situation
considerably.  If you think about it, the server can't actually process
more than a small multiple of its cores worth of useful work at a time
anyway.  Above that, you're just adding contention without increasing
total work accomplished.  So "how many connections does it support at
once?" is a metric of little value anyway.  I can easily generate a
workload that crushes a system with a single connection, or generate one
where connections spend so much time idle that you can scale to enormous
numbers of them.