List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] Unexpected behaviour of date_part
From:       Tom Lane <tgl () sss ! pgh ! pa ! us>
Date:       2009-06-30 14:22:09

> The <datetime value expression> isn't '2009 ... +11', it's the absolute
> time that string represents. It doesn't in fact have a time-zone
> component except in the context of your locale settings.

> I don't know if we do follow the standard here though - not read it through.

The spec does appear to contemplate that the timezone be represented
separately.  We've discussed this in the past but there's not been a lot
of enthusiasm for changing it ... aside from the work involved, it would
mean doubling the space required for a timestamptz value (because of
alignment considerations).

			regards, tom lane