List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] Performance
From:       Vivek Khera <vivek () khera ! org>
Date:       2007-05-31 20:04:42

On May 23, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Donald Laurine wrote:

> Now my question. The performance of each of these databases is
> decreasing. I measure the average insert time to the database. This
> metric has decreased by about 300 percent over the last year. I run
> vacuum analyze and vacuum analyze full on a daily bases. I also run
> vacuum 4 time a day. Still the performance continues to drop. Are
> there some other performance activities I may try?. Are there other
> monitoring options I can use to indicate where the slow down is
> occurring?

I am of the fragmented index camp.  re-index your table that gets the
large number of inserts and deletes.  compare the index sizes before
and after... something like

select relpages,relname from pg_class where relname like 'mybigtable%';

should tell you the sizes.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster