List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?
From:       Tom Lane <tgl () sss ! pgh ! pa ! us>
Date:       2007-04-05 14:47:18

> I think the problem is that most encodings do not have the concept of a
> code point anyway, so implementing it for them is fairly useless.

Yeah.  I'm beginning to think that the right thing to do is

(a) make chr/ascii do the same thing as Oracle (ie, as in the discussed
patch)

(b) make a different pair of functions that translate Unicode code
points to/from the current database encoding.

			regards, tom lane

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster