List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?
From:       "Albe Laurenz" <all () adv ! magwien ! gv ! at>
Date:       2007-04-05 9:52:14

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> I think we need to continute design discussion, probably
> targetting for 8.4, not 8.3.

But isn't a simple fix for chr() and ascii(), which does not
require a redesign, a Good Thing for 8.3 if possible? Something
that maintains as much upward and/or Oracle compatibility as
possible while doing away with ascii('EUR') returning 226 in UTF-8?

And I think - correct me if I am wrong - that conversion between
character and integer representation of the character in the current
database encoding is exactly that.

I see Tom Lane's point in rejecting chr(0), though.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

       match