List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    [GENERAL] Backward compatibility patch for numutils.c
From:       "Markus Wollny" <Markus.Wollny () computec ! de>
Date:       2004-06-30 18:05:17

Hi!

We're using some "hardwired" apps which try to insert '' in INT-fields when what they \
really mean is NULL. 7.2 wasn't bothered by this behaviour, but 7.3 was and it broke \
some apps then. So Bruce had posted a patch for 7.3's \
/src/backend/utils/adt/numutils.c - I couldn't find the original posting when someone \
asked some time ago and I cannot find it now, however I have reposted his patch \
there: http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=2266D0630E43BB4290742247C89105750393D53E%40dozer.computec.de

Now the relevant bit has slightly changed in 7.4.x and I wonder what else would be \
affected when applying the same thing here; I have made the same changes to the \
source of 7.4.3, resulting in the following diff:

diff numutils.c.patched numutils.c.orig
69,74c69,74
<       else if (*s == 0)
<            {
<               /* 7.4.X workaround for broken apps */
<               elog(WARNING, "pg_atoi: zero-length string");
<               l = (long) 0;
<              }
---
> if (*s == 0)
> ereport(ERROR,
> (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_TEXT_REPRESENTATION),
> errmsg("invalid input syntax for integer: \"%s\"",
> s)));

It compiles fine, but I don't know if I'd shoot myself in the foot when actually \
using and trusting the thus patched 7.4.3 in a production environment. Any thoughts? \
Or can I put my mind at rest regardless? I know it's breaking the SQL-specs, but I'd \
rather have that than broken apps...

Kind regards

Markus Wollny