List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    [HACKERS] 7.4.2 release notes
From:       Bruce Momjian <pgman () candle ! pha ! pa ! us>
Date:       2004-03-05 20:00:18

Here are the 7.4.2 release notes I made.  I have a few question:

What detail do we need on the pg_statistics alignment fix?  Do we need
to show an UPDATE query to fix database?  What are the ramifications of
leaving it alone?

A few categories list "various fixes" for rare fixes we made in a few
areas.  We would not normally spell those out in detail in a major
release, and I assume we wouldn't do that in a minor release either.

I will add comments to a few of them later.

                               Release Notes

                               Release 7.4.2

     Release date: 2004-03-??

   This release contains a variety of fixes from 7.4.1.

Migration to version 7.4.2

   A dump/restore is *not* required for those running 7.4.X.

Changes

   As of 2004-03-02

     * Fix problems with ALTER TABLE during concurrent access (Tom)
     * Improve hash build reliability (Tom)
     * Fix statistics alignment bug that could affect optimizer, initdb
       required (Tom)
     * Optimizer improvements (Tom)
     * Permission fix for view updates (Tom)
     * Allow non-super users to update pg_settings (Tom)
     * Fix for multibyte handling in position() (Korea PostgreSQL Users'
       Group)
     * Various multibyte fixes
     * Fix problem with hitting open file limit, especially on OS X (Tom)
     * Have pg_dump set client encoding on restore (Tom)
     * Allow ecpg to again use C keywords as column names (Michael)
     * Added ecpg WHENEVER NOT_FOUND to SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE
       (Michael)
     * Fix ecpg crash for queries calling set-returning functions
       (Michael)
     * Various ecpg fixes (Michael)
     * Fixes for Borland compiler
     * Thread build improvements (Bruce)
     * Fix for configure --disable-shared support (Tom)
     * Various build fixes
     * Various jdbc fixes