List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] PlPython
From:       elein <elein () varlena ! com>
Date:       2003-06-30 21:59:30

7.3 doc says:

> The global dictionary SD is available to store data between function calls. This \
> variable is private static data.  The global dictionary GD is public data, \
> available to all Python functions within a session. Use with care.>

> Each function gets its own restricted execution object in the Python interpreter, \
> so that global data and > function arguments from myfunc are not available to \
> myfunc2.  The exception is the data in the GD dictionary, as mentioned above.

I think the above is correct, and the terms I used could be confusing.  The doc
is calling both GD and SD global data.  These are distinct from the function \
arguments. Function arguments are distinct to the invocation of the function.
You can get to GD elements from any called plpython function.  You can get to SD \
elements only from (re-)calling the same plpython function.

How about changing the second paragraph to:

   Each function gets its own restricted execution object in the Python interpreter \
so that SD global  data and function arguments from myfunc are not available to \
myfunc2.  Data stored in the  GD dictionary by myfunc may be accessed by myfunc2.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

elein

On Monday 30 June 2003 14:49, Tom Lane wrote:
> elein  <elein@varlena.com> writes:
> > The global data (GD) and function data (SD)
> > work as they always have worked.
>
> Right, but the para at issue was claiming you couldn't access any global
> data *except* GD.
>
> 			regards, tom lane

elein@varlena.com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com
PostgreSQL General Bits    http:/www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
   "Free your mind the rest will follow" -- en vogue

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster