List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] Turning the PLANNER off
From:       "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm () rice ! edu>
Date:       2002-10-31 18:34:54

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:59:39PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> What's the basis for your assertion that it's "planning things that
> don't need it"?  Given a JOIN-constrained query I do not believe the
> planner will look at any cases other than the intended join order.

Well, that was a loose choice of words - let's say the planner seems to
be taking awfully long to build an execution tree with only one choice
available.

> He can do whatever he wants, as long as he has no illusions about
> getting it accepted back into the sources ;-).

Understood - this would be a hacking tool only.

> What would probably be more useful is to do some profiling to understand
> why the planner is taking longer than he wants even with a
> JOIN-constrained query.  I should think this would be pretty quick.

Yup, that targets the same question as above - anything 'uneeded' actually
happening in the planner? I'll send him off with this suggestion.

Ross