List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    [GENERAL] Use Inherrtance or not, a table desing question
From:       Vernon Wu <vernonw () gatewaytech ! com>
Date:       2002-03-31 21:36:47

Hi,

I am working on DB table design for an application. In the application, the search is \
based on sex: male or female. To  have a better performance, I am thinking about to \
have two profile tables for each sex. Since the most of data fields of  the two \
tables are identical, for the design point of view, it is better to use the \
inheritance, that will have three tables:  person table and two its children tables: \
male and female. I am very new to Postgres and don't know any its internal  \
structure. Please enlighten me whether I shall use the inheritance for a large size \
of data.

Thanks,

Vernon