List:       postgresql-general
Subject:    Re: [HACKERS] [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow
From:       Adrian Phillips <adrianp () powertech ! no>
Date:       2002-01-31 19:25:22

    Oleg> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Andy Ruhl wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
    >>
    >> > anybody has an experience how is stable postgresql under
    >> Windows system ?  > I tried postgresq 7.1 under Cygwin, Windows
    >> 98 and was dissapointed > by very bad performance. Are there
    >> something I could tune ?  > I got 250 sel/sec on simple select
    >> from table with 500 rows !  > Under Linux I have 2500 sel/sec.
    >>
    >> What are your plans for postgresql on Windows? Just by the
    >> nature of the OS, I'd never expect too much performance from a
    >> Cygwin app, especially one like postgresql. Do you plan on
    >> running it on 98 in a production manner?

    Oleg> even worse, we have to port our application to Windows and
    Oleg> it should run under W95..XP on different hardware (PII
    Oleg> ...). It'll run in single-user environment (thank
    Oleg> goodness). Database will have about 20-30 K rows.

For starters, check out the Cywgin FAQ :-

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#TOC75 (How is fork implemented)

and the Cygwin User's guide, especially :-

Highlights of Cygwin Functionality/Process Creation

There are also some discussions about fork and vfork in the mailing
list archives, and I see that there have been some changes to do with
vfork during the last year or so but don't know whether that is
applicable to Postgresql.

Sincerely

Adrian Phillips

--